|Images scanned from Beaufort-An Album of Memories |
by Jack Dudley . Click images to enlarge.
RAILROAD BRIDGE - Built 1906
|Image scanned from Beaufort-An Album of Memories |
by Jack Dudley
In his book Beaufort-by-the-Sea - Memories of a Lifetime, Neal Willis wrote, "Before the highway was built between Beaufort and Morehead City, the only way from Beaufort to Morehead was by train, boat or to drive around on New Bern Road. Later a ferry ran between the two towns. It carried passengers and three or four cars. The number of passengers varied. It was very popular. Leaving a dock on Front Street twice a day, it ran to a dock on the Morehead waterfront."
|Page from Dudley book|
In his Beaufort book, Jack Dudley reprinted an article from The State, June 27, 1953, about "The Old Mullet Line." Hightlights of that article regarding Beaufort include, "Connecting with 'Old Mullet Line' at Morehead and running across Newport River to Beaufort, is the B&M, a tiny, toy-like railroad system, which is the darling of Carteret. With a total mileage of 3.7 miles, it has more miles on trestles and causeways than on land, and on of its greatest problems is the fact that is Newport trestle is the best danged fishing place on any railroad anywhere. This is another success story. Nobody wanted the B&M, and it seemed destined to fold up. A group of Carteret men bought it and leased it to A.[Alan] T. Leary, a veteran railway man. He is one of the most versatile railway presidents you ever saw. With a force of about 15, Leary can and sometimes does help ice cabbage cars, shuttle freight, and turn switches. There is no room for prima donnas on the B&M."
MOREHEAD CITY - BEAUFORT HIGHWAY BRIDGE
|Morehead City - Beaufort Bridge Looking West |
Linda Sadler - Carteret County Postcards
|Morehead City - Beaufort Bridge Looking East |
North Carolina Postcard Collection
|North Carolina Postcard Collection|
|Construction photos scanned from |
Dudley's Beaufort - An Album of Memories
The Beaufort News - 1927
With few cars in town, many people hitchhiked to Morehead City. When anyone walked by "Miss Nannie" Geoffroy's porch at the corner of Ann and Moore, they would hear her green parrot squawk, “Morehead?—Going to Morehead?” Interestingly, Jean Kell worked for "Miss Nannie" during the depression; the parrot called her "Ms. Kell."
In the beginning, owners of the first automobiles and residents believed that gas in containers might ignite, therefore, the fuel was kept on one of the barrier islands; when needed, someone would row over to retrieve a container.
Again, Neal Willis wrote, "A Chevrolet car cost about four to five hundred dollars. Gas was 12 cents a gallon and was [eventually] pumped by hand from underground tanks. Motor oil was pumped from a container into pint and quart jars with spouts. There was no antifreeze. Radiators had to be drained at night and filled the next morning."
GRAYDEN PAUL BRIDGE - Built 1957
|Photo courtesy OurBeaufortBridge.com|
Dylan Ray photo
A bascule drawbridge is a moveable bridge with a counterweight that continuously balances the span, or leaf, throughout the entire upward swing in providing clearance for boat traffic. Bascule is a French term for seesaw and balance, and bascule bridges operate along the same principle.
Bascule-type bridges are the most common type of moveable bridge in existence because they open quickly and require relatively little energy to operate. Bascule bridges may be single or double leaf.