|1790 Carteret County Census|
- Mary Thomas, born 1795, married Thomas Piner
- Nancy Thomas (1799-1864)
- Marcus Cicero Thomas (1801-1853) married Elizabeth King Duncan in 1825
- Robert S. Thomas (1806-1857) married Nancy Fulford, then Hannah Bell
- Eliza Thomas (1814-1886) married George Walker
- Thomas Thomas (1816-1898) married Martha Dudley Murray
|Martha Dudley Murray|
Martha Dudley Murray was daughter of Thomas Murray (1795-1868) and Nancy Roberson Bell (1799-1884), married in 1815. Thomas Murray was born in Carteret County, the only child of Bartholomew Murray and Martha Dudley. Nancy Roberson Bell was the daughter of Elijah Bell (1765-1809) and Mary Gibbons (1780-1857). The Bell family descended from Andrew Bell (1670-1725), who acquired land in 1708, in what would become Carteret County.
It is believed that Martha and Thomas had 16 children; only 5 lived—Isabella, Charles, Samuel, Thomas Murray and William Alonzo.
1. Isabella Thomas (29 May 1842-27 Jan 1932) married Benjamin Midgett about 1886.
2. Charles Thomas (21 Nov 1843-10 Apr1871) was a merchant and died at 27.
|Samuel T. Thomas|
1932 Death Certificate
3. Samuel T. Thomas (16 Dec 1845-18 Mar 1932) married Elizabeth Bell. (According to P.W. Fisher, Samuel was the last Confederate soldier remaining in Carteret County at the time of his death.) His wife Elizabeth was daughter of Gideon Cummings Bell and Eliza A. Pigott.
4. Thomas Murray Thomas (30 Jul 1848-3 May 1940) married Laura Pelletier. His family was noted in the house at 301 on the 1940 census. Died at 91. Wife Laura was a great granddaughter of Jerome Pelletier, a French Huguenot naval officer, born in France about 1740, who stayed in Carteret County after the Revolutionary War.
Children: Charles W., Mary Adeline, Jerry Pelletier, Thomas Murray, Samuel Hughes, Leonidas Elijah, Laura Esther and Phillip Novel Thomas.
· Laura Esther Thomas (28 Feb 1890-3 Nov 1986) never married; she died at 96 in a nursing home in Morehead City. It appears that Laura lived at 301 Front Street from at least 1940, until she went into the nursing home. In February 1962, Miss Laura Thomas was one of a dozen citizens who attended an early Beaufort Historical Association planning meeting; the BHA officially founded January 25, 1960. Also of note, from about 1930 until his death in 1958, Laura's brother, Charles Walter Thomas Sr. (1878-1958), owned the Josiah Bell House circa 1825, at 138 Turner.
|William Alonzo Thomas|
1915 Death Certificate
|Gray's 1880 Map - Capt. Thomas Thomas House at Front & Orange |
and Capt. Thomas' waterfront wharf a block east.
In 1885 a Committee of Citizens leased lots 136, 144, and 152 on the northwest side of the Court House Square which had been “reserved for an Academy by an Act of the General Assembly in 1816.” They agreed to pay an annual rental of $6.00 and were to erect upon it a school building for white children, the building to cost not less than $1,000.00. The following were on the Committee: Thomas Thomas, B. L. Jones, W. F. Dill, William Sabiston, J. B. Davis, N. W. Taylor, S. M. Buckman, S. J. Moore, Sarch A. Davis, J. B. Jones, J. C. Davis, W. B. Duncan, B. J. Bell, T. D. Noe, N. L. Carrow, M. R. Geffroy, F. Borden Mace, J. D. Davis, W. S. Chadwick, R. W. Bell, James R. Bell, and R. W. Bell, Sr.
This school was built facing Market Street, now Turner, and for fifteen years was operated as the Beaufort High School. In 1900, the Methodists leased the land for ten years with the privilege of renewing for fifty years and operated it as a Methodist school. The Methodists never exercised their privilege of renewing their lease for fifty years. Instead in 1907, after operating the school for only seven years, the Church sold a strip of land on Broad Street, back of the A.M.E. Zion Church to the town for $1,250.00 “also that certain school house building now standing on the public Court House Square in the said town of Beaufort and commonly called the Beaufort High School Building.” The trustees signing the deed were T. M. Thomas, C. P. Dey, T. W. Lindsay, H. C. Jones, C. L. Duncan, B. J. Jones, Charles L. Abernathy, and W. L. Arrington. (Muse)
This photo was taken about 1912 on Ann Street, just around the corner from the Thomas house. Note the "ribboned" goat hooked up to the interestingly-designed cart. Nancy McKee Smith’s mother, Louise Gordon Thomas, born in Beaufort in 1906, was about 8 years old. Nancy’s mother went to St. Paul’s School until 1918. The small boys are Louise's twin brothers - Thomas Thomas and Edward Gordon Thomas - born in 1910. The Thomas Thomas (1883-1937) family lived in the second block of Front Street, referred to in a letter from Nancy's mother as “…a wide road made of oyster shell between the house and the wharves.” Thomas was the eldest son of William Alonzo Thomas and his first wife, Rosetta Howland Manney.
The Thomas family plot is in the Old Burying Ground on the north side of the Methodist Church. Other family members were buried in Ocean View Cemetery.