|ATLANTIC HOUSE HOTEL circa 1851-1879|
In her 1991 book, The Atlantic Hotel, Virginia Pou Doughton wrote of Josiah Pender building the hotel in 1859…”the structure was three stories high, with triple porches and numerous windows to catch the breeze. It was a light framework covered with squares of planking to resemble stucco and was supported on pilings out over the water.”
However, an account on Josiah Solomon Pender, in the Dictionary of North Carolina Biography: Vol. 5, P-S, stated, “In 1856 he bought his favorite oceanfront hotel, the Atlantic House, which had been erected in 1851, had served as the Hammond Military Hospital (1862‒65), and was destroyed by a hurricane in 1879.
GRAY’S 1880 MAP shows the wooden bridge/board walk starting between Craven and Queen Streets – extending to Pollock Street. The Atlantic Hotel LOT was on the waterfront between Pollock and Marsh Streets. By the 1913 Sanborn Map, Front Street had been extended to Queen Street.
Postcards below - circa 1908-1911
|"White House," circa 1844, sits on the west side of the Inlet Inn, |
the house moved to this location before 1913.
|View from the front porch of the Inlet Inn - inset on an Inlet Inn postcard|
THE OLD INLET INN: The earliest part of what became the first Inlet Inn was built in the 1850s as a private residence. Noted on Gray's 1880 Map as "Sea Side House,” proprietor Charles W. Lowenberg sold to the Morris family in the early 1900s. It was known as "Morris House" until Carrie Dill Norcom operated it as a boarding house named "Norcom House." Purchased by Congressman Charles Abernathy in 1911, the house was greatly expanded and named the "New Inlet Inn."
There was a ballroom on the second floor. Fresh water was pumped by windmills. The beach and boardwalk of the 1911 Inlet Inn disappeared as a result of the dredging of Taylor's Creek and the extension of Front Street. In 1967, before preservation guidelines were in place, most of the inn was torn down for construction of the BB&T Bank building just east of the current 1985 Inlet Inn. One wing of the original Inlet Inn was salvaged and is now a private residence.
|1905 POSTCARD SHOWING MARKER BETWEEN NEW & OLD TOWN|
Postcard courtesy Linda Sadler
|1913 SANBORN MAP|
|THE AREA TODAY|