In his History of the Hammock House and Related Trivia, Maurice Davis wrote about Robert Williams, who owned the "White House" property from 1765 to 1777.
“Robert Williams, a Quaker, was one of the most remarkable men who ever lived in Carteret County. He obviously made no small plans.
“He is first recorded in the county in June 1765 when he purchased from Timothy Alling and Benjamin Olney, merchants, two parcels of 75 acres along Taylor’s Creek designated ‘Taylor’s Old Field’ and the White House, the western part of the land formerly belonging to James Winwright, deceased. Williams also obtained from Mary Whorton, widow of Mattock Whorton, an assignment of her dower rights in the White House land ‘where she now lives.’
’“In 1767 he returned to England and married Elizabeth
Dearman…In the same year Williams purchased property in New Bern and opened the
‘Ready Money Store.’ He also had a store in Beaufort. By 1769 he had begun to
purchase property along Black Creek between the settlement that was to become
Newport and the Mill Creek home and mill of William Borden. He dammed the creek
and created a large mill pond, using water power to operate a saw mill and
grist mill. He also raised rice there and built a brick house using brick and
ballast stone brought from England. CLICK HERE TO MAIN WILLIAMS SITE.