William Luther Paul Family

Please click an image to enlarge and also open 'light box' to view all.
Most images were originally posted on ancestry.com by C.W. Curley.
Other photos courtesy Paul family and Beaufort Historical Association.

Raymond Luther Paul
William Luther Paul's father RAYMOND LUTHER PAUL (1842-1929) was born north of Vanceboro, Craven County, NC, son of William Timothy Paul (1818-1888) and Unity Leigh (1822-1855). During the Civil War, Confederate soldier Raymond L. Paul was a private, 1st Regiment, North Carolina Artillery; enlisted in Craven County, June 12, 1861. According to great grandson Grayden M. Paul Jr., company muster rolls show Private R.L. Paul was present at Fort Macon from July 2, 1861 to February 28, 1862. On April 26, 1862, after the fort was captured by Federal forces, Paul was paroled along with the rest of the officers and enlisted men at Fort Macon. (Raymond's father William Timothy Paul was a private in 13th Battalion, North Carolina Light Artillery.) 

On October 20, 1864, Raymond married Frances D. "Fannie" Styron. The ceremony was performed by J.L. Warren, Minister of the Gospel. 

"Fannie" Styron (1841-1921), was born in Davis Shore to Matilda Lewis (1810-1888) and George Washington Styron (1800-1860), son of George Styron (1756-1800) who was born in Hunting Quarters. 


Ammie Loren Paul
Grandfather of historian
Charles Paul
Charles Brayman Paul
& Family
 By 1880, farmer Raymond and wife Fannie were in Smyrna Township with children Charles Brayman Paul, William Luther Paul, Ammie Loren Paul and Betty Wheeler Paul

Charles Brayman Paul (1866-1904) became a preacher and married Mittie Whitehead on October 20, 1890. Net fisherman, carpenter and blacksmith Ammie Loren Paul (1872-1952) married Julia Frances Willis on December 24, 1896. Betty Wheeler Paul (1876-1964) married Irwin Jones Davis about 1905. 

Raymond became a master carpenter and built the "Big House" on Davis Island for Barnard Leckler, who came to Davis to hunt goose and duck and decided to build a home and hunting lodge.

Raymond Luther Paul and Fannie D. Styron Paul were buried 
in the Paul Family Cemetery in Davis, Carteret County.
Raymond Luther Paul - The Last Survivor by Grayden M. Paul Jr.
_________________________________________________________
 
Emeline "Lina" Willis
William Luther Paul and
wife Emeline Willis
Raymond and Fannie Paul's second son WILLIAM LUTHER PAUL (1869‒1946), inventor and entrepreneur, was born in Davis Shore, Carteret County.
 
In 1894, William Luther Paul married Emeline "Lina" Willis (1874‒1943), daughter of Frances Watson (1840-1932) and Simeon Willis (1826-1905) of Smyrna, Carteret County. Luther and Lina lived in Smyrna, where Luther was noted as a blacksmith.  

Though Luther had little formal education (7th grade), he had “a drive and curiosity for all things mechanical.” Among many inventions, Luther built flying machine "Bumble Bee." In 1908, after an Orville Wright test flight crashed and killed the passenger, Paul's family convinced him to stop work on what may have been America's first helicopter. (See article at the end of this post.)
After moving to Beaufort about 1911, Luther operated the Sea Breeze Theater on Front Street; members of the family participated in all aspects of the business.

1920s Front Street, Beaufort NC - Sea Breeze Theater in background, now site of the NC Maritime Museum
Home was 117 Moore Street. The 1920 census found William L. 50, Lina 46, Grayden M. 20, Halsey 17, Daphne 13, Glennis 10 and 7-year-old Raymond. The 1940 recorded W. Luther 70, Lina 65, Daphne 31, Glennie 28, Iva Paul Bailey 43, and her 21-year-old daughter Louise Bailey.
117 Moore Street
Luther, Lina and family at 117 Moore
First car built by Luther Paul
Children of Luther and Lina Paul: IVA LOU PAUL, GRAYDEN MUIR PAUL, HALSEY DAIL PAUL, DAPHNE DARE PAUL, GLENNIE MARIE PAUL AND RAYMOND LUTHER PAUL.    
    

Iva Lou Paul
IVA LOU PAUL (1897‒1981) - During World War II, Iva Lou was a chaplain’s assistant in the Army Air Corps. Iva married Carl G. Bailey. Daughter Harriet Louise Bailey was born in New Hanover County, married Hazel Deal Mortez in 1941, and died in Grifton, Pitt County.IVA LOU PAUL (1897‒1981) - During World War II, Iva Lou was a chaplain’s assistant in the Army Air Corps. Iva married Carl G. Bailey. Daughter Harriet Louise Bailey was born in New Hanover County, married Hazel Deal Mortez in 1941, and died in Grifton, Pitt County.

Grayden Muir Paul
GRAYDEN MUIR PAUL (1899‒1994) – Grayden completed one year of college (Wake Forest College). About 1921, he married Mary Clark Wilhelm (1899-1996). They had three children. The 1930 census found Grayden and Mary in St. Petersburg, Florida, where he was noted as a marine mechanic. By the 1940 census, they were back in Beaufort where Grayden was noted as “operator of marine shop; repairs and sales.” At home in 1940 were G.M. Paul 41, Mary 40, Grayden Muir 17, Harry Allan 15, and Mary Frazier Paul 7.

Best known as a Beaufort storyteller, Grayden started conducting tours in 1952. He gathered a small group that started things rolling for the town’s 251st anniversary in July 1960, which was the nucleus of the formation of Beaufort Historical Association. As part of the anniversary celebration, Grayden originated and directed the re-enactment of the 1747 “Spanish Invasion Day.” As noted in the News-Times article at the time of his death, “as Mr. Paul himself told it, the only way Beaufort knew for certain it had ever had any pirates ashore was because somebody had found an ancient bill to the town jail for beef to feed the Spanish pirates.”  

Alphonso
1960s (BHA photo)
Ruth Barbour wrote, “A contract with Mr. Paul was signed concerning his operation of the Alphonso, a “museum of the sea.” The Alphonso, the hull and deck of a sharpie launched in 1911, was rebuilt by Mr. Paul, dry-docked at the south end of Pollock Street, and opened as one of the attractions for the town’s 251st anniversary celebration. It continued as a waterfront attraction, maintenance and operation financed largely by the Beaufort Merchants Association, until 1978. After 18 seasons, the 77-year-old vessel, home of numerous artifacts, was considered unsafe for public use and was burned by Beaufort firemen.” The spot was later named “Grayden Paul Park.”

Grayden and Mary Paul co-authored a book, “Carteret County, N.C. Folklore, Facts and Fiction,” published in 1975. See: Founding of the Beaufort Historical Association: http://beaufortartist.blogspot.com/p/founding-of-beaufort-historical.html
In 1976, Grayden Paul was honored by the Historic Preservation Society of North Carolina with an Award of Merit. He served as mayor from 1941 to 1942 and was on the Town Board and the Carteret County school board.

Band director - Beaufort Graded School
HALSEY DAIL PAUL (1902‒1997)
Halsey married Margaret Ann Skarren about 1926. Margaret was the daughter of plumbing contractor William Edward Skarren and Carrie Lee Scott. Children Margaret Ann, Helen Dail and Halsey Dail Paul Jr. The 1940 census recorded Halsey as “automotive dealer – sales & service garage.” Halsey owned and operated Paul Motor Company.

DAPHNE DARE PAUL (1906‒1996) – Daphne completed one year of college; she never married.  

Daphne's obituary noted: “She was a historian, researcher and writer of Carteret County and Beaufort history, including a popular series on Beaufort which was printed in the News-Times

Daphne also received the North Carolina Historical Publication Award.” 

GLENNIE MARIE PAUL (1909‒1993) – Glennie graduated from Meredith College, Raleigh NC, where she was president of her Senior Class, president of the Glee Club, accompanist for both Glee Club and Choir, May Queen, and made her radio debut over WPTF the same year as her graduation in 1930. 

While growing up in Beaufort, Glennie was a leader, active in athletics and also pianist at the Baptist Sunday School.

Below: 1926 senior in high school and 1930 Meredith College.



RAYMOND LUTHER PAUL (1913‒1988), named after his grandfather, was the only one of the Paul children born in Beaufort. Raymond married Marjorie Williams. In 1997, the town rescue squad dedicated its new building on West Beaufort Road and named it in honor of the late Raymond Paul. Mr. Paul had established a trust fund to care for his sister Daphne; upon her death, it was to be distributed to two organizations, one of which was the Beaufort Rescue Squad.  
_______________________________________________________







WILLIAM LUTHER PAUL HOUSE circa 1910
117 Moore Street - Beaufort NC
Large, well-preserved, 2-story house has a deck-on-hip roof with widow's walk, center projecting cross-gable, plain siding and 2/2 sash with molded caps. 1-story porch 
with turned posts, plain railing, and roof with balustrade.

About 1911 - Halsey, Daphne, and Grayden with Sam Forlaw and Lela Hudgins, who lived on west Ann Street. Sam (born about 1901) was the son of Clarence C.Forlaw who died in 1910. Lela (born about 1901) was daughter of John Graier Hudgins.  

The Beaufort News - June 1937 
Grayden Muir Paul Jr. at the Grayden Paul Bridge - named for his father
(Casey Futrell Photography, NCCOAST)
Feb 20, 1930

Dec 12, 1929

June 27, 1929

March 13, 1930

Luther Paul