1829 Jail

Old Beaufort Jail
Originally on Courthouse Square on Cedar Street
Historic American Buildings Survey 
Architectural Drawings by William J. Patrick – 1967
School of Design – NC State
Library of Congress

Built by Elijah Whitehurst circa 1829. The jail remained in use until 1954, when a new jail was constructed. The building served as a museum on site until it was moved to the Beaufort Restoration Ground in 1977.


CLICK AN IMAGE TO OPEN PHOTO VIEWER 

1967 Photo - Historic Architecture Research (NCSU Libraries)







Contemporary Photograph
Beaufort Restoration Grounds