|After 1945 and |
before early 1990s
In The Story of the Methodist in Beaufort, Amy Muse wrote, "He conducted The Beaufort Female Institute in the house in which 'Miss Laura' Duncan lives. His mother 'Miss Frances' Canaday built the house for him—the upper part to be used as his home, the basement rooms for the school. Later she built another for him on the west side of Pollock Street just back of the Inlet Inn where he was conducting a school at the time of his death in 1859."
Miss Henrietta Lea (1840-1929) was one of the young teachers at the school. Daughter of minister Solomon Lea, who became the first President of Greensboro Female College, Henrietta evidently came to Beaufort to teach in Rev. Langdon's school, then met and married minister Marcus Cicero Thomas Jr. (1831-1913) in 1858.
NOTE: In a 1898 report compiled by the Superintendent of Public Instruction of North Carolina, the following were noted in Beaufort: Carteret Academy chartered in 1810 and Beaufort Male & Female Academy chartered 1842. In 1856 W.I. Langdon was principal of a female school at Beaufort; it was afterwards removed to High Point. The Atlantic Military Institute was located in Beaufort about 1860.
What has been called the "Beaufort Academy" and is now plaqued "Carteret Academy" was actually the Beaufort Female Institute/Academy. When built, it looked nothing like it does today. On Gray's 1880 Map this lot is noted as the "Duncan Estate." The porches were added after 1898. (See Sanborn maps below) The house was one of the first plaqued in 1963. Purchased in 1989, it was elevated several step higher, supporting pillars replaced with brick and the basement bricked in.
|Thomas Isaac & Laura Duncan 1930s|
|Thomas Isaac Duncan|
|Laura Nelson Duncan|
|1986 News-Times article|
|Laura Mae Duncan Sellers 1986|
Daughter Laura Mae Duncan Sellers (1886-1990) lived to be 104!
|Lena Nelson Duncan (1898-1990)|
Lena's brother John Nelson Duncan Sr. (1896-1986) was the grandfather of current Beaufort resident and realtor John N. Duncan III - Beaufort Realty on Front Street.
|Jean B. Kell Photo circa 1992|
|1970 Tony P. Wrenn |
Archives & History
posts and railings as well as sawnwork brackets and drip courses. The off-center front door is also notable. The porch was probably added in the late 1800s.[between 1898 and 1904] (Tony P.
|Laura and Grace |
|1898 Sanborn Map|
|1904 Sanborn Map|
The current structure, 505 Front Street, corner of Front and Craven Streets,
is one of the most photographed in Beaufort.
|Contemporary Photo Courtesy Lisa Margolis|
|Contemporary Photo Courtesy Jeff Pettitt|