The report below is from: Early Domestic Architecture in Beaufort, North Carolina - Summer Field Study 2011 - College of William and Mary & Colonial Williamsburg Foundation Dept. of Architectural and Archaeological Research (Klee and Lounsbury). Images are Field Study drawings and photographs. Click images to enlarge.
The Ward-Hancock House in Beaufort, North Carolina, is a building that has apparently done some traveling. It now rests out of town on a site near the water, and is surrounded by a backdrop of trees and other greenery. As late as 1964, it sat on property near U. S. Highway 70 before it was moved to town. About a year ago, the house was moved again to its present location on land just north of the town near the airport. A date of “c. 1726” is painted on a plaque on the front porch, but it was most likely constructed at a much later date, most probably in the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century, as the evidence suggests. At its new location, the front of the gambrel-roof building faces the north and rests on concrete blocks. The outer dimensions of the structure are 26’5” in width and 28’10” in depth with a seven-foot deep porch.
|Detail of wooden pegs |
in original roof sheathing
The door casings in the two unheated front ground-floor rooms appear to be from the early twentieth century, and present in both rooms are ghost marks of a five-inch chair board, indicating a modest finish for these spaces. The room closer to the southeast corner of the building had a door that swung into the room. The room in the northeast corner has a window which has been moved approximately nine inches from its original position; it overlooks the front porch where the front door had been in 1964.
|Wooden latch keeper |
2nd floor inner chamber
On the upper floor, the top of the stairwell opens into a large heated room with an interior chimney and two small unheated rooms opposite the fireplace. The doors to these rooms were originally held by H or HL hinges whose ghost marks can be seen on the jamb of the board partition. All of the flooring on the second floor has been pulled up and reset in new locations without regard to their original positions.
Information below compiled by Mary Warshaw
Ward-Hancock House - Rustulls, Wards and Hancocks
|1733 Moseley Map |
"R Rustul" NE of Town
An approximate 100-acre portion of Rustull's purchase had been laid out in 1713 and named Beaufort. As required by the 1723 act of incorporation, Rustull increased the size of the town to 200 acres. In December, 1725, Richard Rustull sold the 200 acres, which included both the old and new sections of the town, to Nathaniel Taylor of Carteret Precinct for £160 sterling. (Carteret Deed Books) Rustull retained the rest of the 780 acres which he had purchased from Robert Turner five years earlier and continued to live just outside of the town. (Charles Paul, Colonial Beaufort) The acreage retained by Rustull, at that time, amounted to about 580 acres. MORE . . .