|1950s - Willis' Pier - West End of Front Street|
|Capt. Jacks' Fishing Shack & Pier|
Charles Hatsell retired in 1947, after 45 years of service at the laboratory, and several months later was presented with a citation and bronze plaque from the Department of the Interior for his “long faithful and highly distinguished service.”
Charlie & The Terrapins
Marie Ella and Charles Ives Hatsell
Captain Jack - An Early Entrepreneur
In the 1950s, another Beaufort resident John Costlow rowed back and forth to the Duke Lab on Piver's Island, sometimes late at night to finish work. On one occasion, a particularly dark night during the fall when the menhaden fleet was filling the waterfront, he was almost run over - not telling wife Ann, home alone in their Manson House apartment with two little girls.