In his introduction to Porchscapes, The Colors of Beaufort, architectural historian Tony P. Wrenn wrote, "In November 1969 Dr. H.G. Jones, of the then North Carolina Department of Archives and History, asked me to undertake a study to locate and copy documentary material relating to Fort Macon, constructed between 1826 and 1834, and then undertake an architectural survey of Beaufort." On the "National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form," Wrenn included the following map and described the boundary of the historic district:
Beaufort Historic District - National Register of Historic Places
Roughly bounded by Beaufort Channel, Pine and Fulford Streets, and Taylor's Creek
|1974 Letter to the Mayor of Beaufort|
In May 1974, then Mayor of Beaufort, Rogers Hunt, received a letter and certificate stating that the Beaufort Historic District had been entered in the National Register of Historic Places.
However, at some point over the years, the town of Beaufort decided to limit the size of the historic district and not include the full National Register area. Thus - Pine, Marsh and Live Oak Streets, lined with historic homes, are not included in the "locally designated" district - including homes beyond the 600 block of Ann and Broad Streets.
|“Locally Designated Historic District.”|
The Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) is composed of seven Beaufort residents, who have a knowledge of and interest in historic preservation. The HPC is appointed by the Town Board of Commissioners, and their purpose is to promote the education, culture, and general welfare of the public through preservation and protection of historical buildings, places and areas; and to maintain such properties as examples of past architectural styles. The HPC reviews and regulates changes in the locally designated historic district, including buildings and their setting, new construction and demolition, major landscaping and tree removal and all signage in the historic district.
Currently, only a few individual houses have a designation on the National Register. These include: Carteret County Home (NC 101), Gibbs House (903 Front St.) and Jacob Henry House (229 Front St.). Individual property owners who would like to have their home listed on the National Register can find information/process by clicking the following links:
How to List a Property on the National Register
Sample Nominations and Check Lists
Being listed on the National Register doesn't protect a building from demolition. In order for a historic property to be protected from demolition, a property owner must do one of the following:
- Have the property designated as having statewide significance.
- Have the property designated as a local, state, or national landmark.
- Put the property into a permanent preservation easement.