Green Family and Farnifold Green's 1707 Grant


Part of 1676 Map - A New Description of Carolina

In 1653, over fifty years before Farnifold Green’s 1707 land grant in Core Sound, his grandfather, Reverend Roger Green, was granted his 1000-acre choice of 10,000 acres on the south side of the Chowan River. The 1676 “Description of Carolina” map notes land between the Pamlico and the Neuse Rivers as “Green’s Land.”

Roger Green was born about 1611 in Norfolk, England. In 1635, at the age of 24, he sailed to the new world aboard Abraham. Roger Green died about 1671 in Charles City, VA.
According to the Green Page, Roger Green enrolled at St. Catherine's, Cambridge, Easter of 1631. He received his B.A. 1634--35 and his M.A. 1638 and was ordained a priest 9 March 1638-39. He is next noted in Nansemond County, VA ministering to the inhabitants there. He is credited with founding North Carolina's first settlement in July 1653 on the bank of the Roanoke River and on the south side of the Chowan and tributary streams. The grant reads as follows: "Upon the petition of Roger Green, Clerk, on behalf of himself and the Inhabitants of Nansemond River, it is ordered by the present Grand Assembly, that 10,000 acres of land be granted unto 100 such persons who shall first seat on the Moratuck or Roanoke Rivers and the branches thereof—provided that such seaters settle advantageously for security... that there be granted the said Roger Green the rights of 1,000 acres of land. (Hening I, p.380) Reverend Roger Green returned to England where on 2 September 1661, he presented a pamphlet to the Lord and Bishop of London, entitled "Virginia's Cure", in order to show the unhappy state of the church in Virginia and the remedy of it. He was also one who examined into the competency of all ministers of the colony. He officiated at Jamestown, and was still living in 1671 (Colonial Church in Virginia, p.246).
During the reign of Queen Anne, grandson Farnifold Green (son of Timothy), who came from Virginia in 1697, had a 1700-acre plantation on the north side of the Neuse River. 

In 1707/1708 Green obtained a land patent from the eight Lords Proprietors—780 acres in what was then referred to as "Core Sound." This choice land was described as "beginning at the mouth of Core River, running up the river and creek 245 poles to a pine, then east 345 poles to a gum, then north eighty degrees east 45 poles to a pine at North River, then down the river to the mouth 420 poles, then along the sound to the first station." Green's land grant, in the vicinity of Cape Lookout and present-day Beaufort, had been home to the Coree Indians. 

It is believed that Farnifold Green was the person who built the “White House” seen on early maps. After all, he owned the land and would have needed an outpost, a place to stay while visiting the seaside wilderness. Of note: The "White House" was located about 300 yards west of the present-day Hammock House, which was built in 1800 by school master Samuel Leffers.