Early Fire Department

Beaufort's Robert E. Lee Fire Company in 1907
Courtesy Beaufort Fire Department

Beaufort, Carteret County December 1913
One chief, two companies. Two stations.

First company (white) next to 406 Craven Street: 20 volunteers. One paid driver. One partly paid engineer. One horse with drop harness, used on street work during day. One Howe triplex gasoline engine. One hose cart with 800-feet 2 1/2-inch hose. 1,000-feet 2 1/2-inch hose in reserve.  
Second Company (colored) next to Town Hall at 305 Broad Street: 20 volunteers. One hose reel with 800-feet 2 1/2-inch hose. One hand engine. Fire alarm by whistle. Population 3,200.

1933 Beaufort Fire Department

History by Mike Legeros
from early twentieth-century summaries of North Carolina fire departments as recorded by the Sanborn Map Company for their fire insurance maps.