Beaufort Timeline

Clear Springs Plantation
Craven County-near Jasper
▪1707 - First Land Patent: The Lords Proprietors granted Farnifold Green 780 acres between Core (Newport) and North Rivers; Green continued to live north of Neuse River on "Clear Springs Plantation."

▪1708 - John & Francis Shackelford,
born in Essex County, Virginia, settled on west side of North River about 4 miles northeast of present-day Beaufort.

Lawson Captured by Indians
▪1711-1715 - Tuscarora War: The first few brave settlers, in what would become Carteret County, may have encountered a few Coranine or Coree Indians. According to descendant Al Pate, in The Coree Are Not Extinct, the Coree, about five years earlier, had already begun to roam the coast “from the New River of Onslow…into their old homeland on the Pamlico south shore of Coree Tuck.” Although the earliest settlers in the "Core Sound" - Shackelford, Nelson (1708 North River) and few others - were relatively safe in their isolation, the circumstances of the time were not conducive to more settlement. The Tuscarora, outraged over enslavement, land encroachment and the deceitful practices of the white intruders, were angered at being pushed off their land--the area of present-day New Bern. King Hancock and his braves, full of resentment and hatred, murdered Deputy Surveyor John Lawson and decided to declare war. In September of 1711, King Hancock's warriors, joined by other tribes, including the Coree, "launched an all-out attack along the Neuse and Pamlico, including the town of Bath." The unsuspecting colonists, also weak from a poor drought-caused harvest, were stunned and frightened. Farnifold Green and others made out their wills. 

1713 Plat of Beaufort Town
▪1713 - Beaufort laid out and named: When Green's patent was officially assigned to Robert Turner of Bath, on October 2, 1713, an Act of the General Assembly officially approved a town be laid out and named. Turner hired surveyor Richard Graves to lay out a 100-acre town; named for Turner's friend and Lords Proprietor Henry Somerset, the 2nd Duke of Beaufort.

▪1713 - John Shackelford and Enoch Ward purchased 7000 acres of "Sea Banks," then part of Bath County; Shackelford's portion became known as Shackleford Banks, the "el" transposed in the surname, beginning on early maps.

Queen Anne's Revenge
▪1718 - June: Black Beard's Queen Anne's Revenge grounded near Old Topsail Inlet; the pirates he had abandoned described Beaufort as a "poor little village at the upper end of the harbour."

1720 - Richard Rustull purchased the town land from Robert Turner. 

▪1722 - Lords Proprietors appointed Beaufort as a port “for the unloading and discharging Vessels.” 

▪1722 - Carteret Precinct was carved from Craven Precinct; Beaufort chosen as site of courthouse.

▪1723 - Beaufort Incorporated: Laws of North Carolina - An Act, for Incorporating the Seaport of Beaufort, In Carteret Precinct, Into a Township, by the Name of Beaufort.