|1713 Map of Beaufort drafted by|
deputy surveyor Richard Graves
Click image to enlarge and open photo viewer
The following documentation of the establishment of the township of Beaufort is included in historian Charles L. Paul’s Colonial Beaufort: The History of a North Carolina Town, 1965. Images have been added.
▪ ▪ ▪“The Indians who inhabited the Core Sound area before the white settlers arrived were of the Coree tribe. Little is definitely known about the tribe. It may be assumed that they were once a rather numerous group, but by the time of the arrival of settlers into their area, their number had been reduced by inter-tribal conflicts to the extent that John Lawson, surveyor-general of North Carolina, described them as having only twenty-five fighting men during the first decade of the eighteenth century.
“Before white settlers entered their area, the Coree had two villages. One of these was located on the north side of the Straits of Core Sound which separates Harker's Island from the mainland, a location not more than seven miles east of the present site of Beaufort nor more than eight miles north of Cape Lookout. The other village was located on the west side of Newport River, but the exact spot cannot be given.
|Hondius-Mercator Map - 1609-1610|
Cwareuuock, as noted on 17th century maps, indicated "land of"
the Cware Indians. Cware evolved to Coree. In 1701, Lawson referred to
the tribe as Coranine with two villages, Coranine and Raruta.